Aging is inevitable. We all age and our organs lose much of their function as the years go by. In the case of our skin, our body's largest organ, that decline can be very visible and skincare products are constantly evolving to counteract the many challenges our skin faces on a daily basis. More and more we hear about the use of peptides as a key ingredient in products that will solve many of our skins problems. But how much do we really understand about this powerful skincare ingredient?
What are peptides?
Peptides are active chains of amino acids (building blocks) that make up proteins. Proteins are essential to every organism and are involved in every process within our cells. They help regulate bodily functions, reduce inflammation and enhance antioxidant benefits. Once we understand the extensive role proteins play within the body, we can begin to grasp the value of peptides.
Aging skin is a result of a series of complex factors, one of which is an increase in the breakdown of proteins. This results in a loss of skin suppleness, firmness, smoothness, even tone and elasticity. Scientists believe that the use of peptides in skin care products may be the answer to addressing these concerns, thereby delaying the signs of aging.
How Peptides Work
Different peptides have different effects. They can improve the look and feel of skin in the following ways:
- Purify: Exfoliate, brighten and cleanse skin of impurities.
- Relax: Minimize repetitive wrinkle-causing facial contractions.
- Nourish: Feed and energize skin with essential nutrients and vitamins.
- Stimulate: Promote healthy skin functions.
- Hydrate: Perfectly balance and moisturize the skin.
- Protect: Maintain a healthy collagen matrix while strengthening the skin defenses